|Mexican Black Bean & Corn Soup |
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2- 1/2 cups fresh corn
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño (whole)
- 1 tablespoon dried epazote (if you have it)
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked black beans (drained of any liquids)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups Saffron Road Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Sour cream (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Fresh corn tortillas or chips (optional)
- In a medium or large Dutch oven over medium flame, heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the corn, garlic, jalapeño and the spices.
- Add the black beans and tomato paste. Use a wooden spoon to thoroughly combine and dissolve the tomato paste. Add the vegetable broth.
- Cover and let cook on low-medium heat for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add break up the jalapeño with the back of a spoon to release its juices and seeds. Next, add the cilantro. Ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh sour cream and hot sauce, if desired. Serve with warm tortillas or tortilla chips.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/community/recipes/