|Acorn Squash & Apple Soup |
Watch my how-to video for this soup here.
- 1 acorn squash, cut in quarters, drizzled with olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 small organic Gala apples, peeled, seeded and cored then diced
- 1 teaspoon French tarragon or marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups Saffron Road chicken broth or vegetable stock
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds (save the seeds for the Roasted Squash Seeds recipe). Using a large tamale pot or steamer basket, steam each piece, flesh side up, until soft. Alternatively, roast the squash until soft and brown, approx. 30 minutes at 350° or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- After the squash is done roasting, allow to cool. Remove the skin and roughly chop into small pieces.
- In a deep medium-size saucepan or dutch oven, melt butter until it froths then add olive oil.
- Sauté onions until translucent. Add cut squash and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add diced apples and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add all seasonings to cooking mixture. Add water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook another 10-15 minutes or until all ingredients have softened.
- Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients right in the pot until it is fairly smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Then, add 1-2 cups of mixture at a time to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve while hot with a pat of butter on top.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/community/recipes/recipes-page-2/