|Moroccan Chicken and Rice Soup |
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, skin removed and left whole
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large breast of chicken cubed
- 8-10 fingerling potatoes
- 3-4 medium carrots
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 c (one carton) Saffron Road Traditional Chicken Broth
- 2 c water
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6-7 springs of parsley chopped finely
- 1/4 c rice or vermicelli noodles
- Before cooking prepare your vegetables by peeling, chopping and grating as needed.
- In a large pot add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and one small onion chopped finely. Heat on medium heat for 5 minutes until onion softens.
- Next, add the chunks of chicken and brown on all sides making sure the onions are not burning. Turn down the heat if they start to turn dark brown.
- Pour the Saffron Road chicken broth into the pot along with the water, grated ginger, salt, black pepper and parsley.
- Stir in one Tablespoon of tomato paste along with all of the chopped vegetables. Drop in the two cloves of garlic. Cover the pot and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in 1/4c of rice. While stirring use a large spoon to break up the pieces of chicken to smaller bites.
- Continue cooking uncovered 10-15 minutes until the rice is soft.
- **If you are preparing this soup to freeze cook the rice or noodles separately from the soup and add as needed. They do not freeze well in soup.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/community/recipes/recipes-page-2/