|Chicken and Dumplings Soup |
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carton Saffron Road Traditional Chicken Broth
- 2 cups of diced, cooked chicken
- 3-4 carrots diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3-4 springs of thyme, leaves removed from stalk
- In a large pan, add the olive oil and butter and turn heat to medium high.
- Once the butter has melted, stir in the diced onion and diced carrot. Cook 5-8 minutes, continuing to stir, until the onion is translucent.
- Pour in all of the chicken broth, as well as the salt, pepper, thyme leaves, and chopped chicken.(Chicken could be leftover from a roast/rotisserie chicken, or boiled ahead of time - you can use raw chicken it will just take longer to cook.)
- Cook for 15 minutes on low heat for flavors to combine.
- Stir together baking powder, salt, and flour.
- Cut the butter into the flour, either using a food processor, pastry cutter, or your hands.
- Slowly add the milk until a dough has been formed.
- You can either roll out the dough and cut into flat noodle shapes, or drop into the pan like a drop dumpling. Adjust the milk according to your preference. Drop dumplings will have a more liquidy batter, whereas rolled dumplings should be more firm.
- Once added to the liquid, cover and cook on low for 10-12 minutes until dumplings are cooked through. The flour from the dumplings will help thicken the soup.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/community/recipes/recipes-page-2/recipes-page-3/recipes-page-4/