|Vegetarian Moroccan Harira |
- 1 medium to large onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tomatoes as fresh as possible
- 1 handful chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 handful chopped cilantro
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric
- 1 small pinch Saffron crushed (if desired)
- ½ c canned organic garbanzo beans
- ¼ c lentils (rinsed)
- 1/4 c rice (I use long grain or basmati)
- 3 cups water
- 1 carton Saffron Road Vegetable Broth
- Food Processor
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot on the stovetop.
- Finely chop onion and garlic, and saute in the stockpot.
- Wash and core tomatoes and then puree in a food processor along with parsley and cilantro.
- Add tomato and herb puree along with salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric (and saffron if desired) to the pot.
- Next, add water, tomato paste and 1 carton of Vegetable Broth to the mix.
- Bring the soup to a boil and add lentils, rice, and garbanzo beans and reduce heat to medium. Cover.
- Once the lentils and rice are tender (will vary but about 20 minutes) turn down the heat.
- You can thicken the soup by adding a flour roux or leave as is.
- The harira should be thick but still have a soup consistency.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/community/recipes/recipes-page-2/recipes-page-3/recipes-page-4/