|Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk |
- 2 large sweet potatoes (approx. 8 cups peeled & chopped)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 4 large garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. all spice (garam masala)
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 carton of Saffron Road Classic Culinary Lamb Broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Put peeled and chopped sweet potatoes in a bowl and lightly coat with extra virgin olive oil and ½ tsp salt with ½ tsp. black pepper. Mix well and spread on baking/cookie sheet and bake for approx. half an hour or until you can put a knife through it.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, in a large pot add oil and onions and cook on medium high heat until onions are almost caramelized and then add chopped garlic. Cook until onions are a dark brown in color and add butter and all your spices (salt, black pepper, all spice, red chili flakes, cumin powder and curry powder) mix continuously and you will be able to smell the aroma of the spices.
- Add water and roasted sweet potatoes and continue to mix until all spices and onion garlic mixture are well combined with the sweet potatoes.
- Slowly add in a whole carton of Saffron Road Lamb Broth and continue to mix.
- Allow to simmer on medium to low heat for approx. 20 mins. (make sure you keep checking on it to make sure it’s not sticking to the bottom of your pot by stirring occasionally)
- Let cool slightly and mix/puree everything with your hand blender/mixer (or remove from pot and add into a blender to puree).
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Simmer on low heat for ten minutes and your done. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with naan bread and enjoy!
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/01/27/20470-autosave/