- clean glass mason jars with lids
- sweetened condensed milk
- slow cooker
- Wash and dry the mason jars.
- Fill them, leaving a little space at the top, with sweetened condensed milk. Wipe off any dribble on the jar and put the lid on.
- Add about 1″ of water to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- You don’t want to submerge the glass jars. If your jars are too tall, you can tip them on their side to cook.
- Then set your slow cooker on low and forget about it for 6-8 hours. You’ll know the caramel is done when it turns light brown.
- Remove from the water and place on the countertop to cool. You want the caramel to cool down before opening it, otherwise you will end up with chunky caramel instead of smooth.
- After it’s cool then you can stir and use as desired!
- Not only would this make a great gift for someone but is a delicious topping for Saffron Road's Salted Caramel Cheesecake
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/05/02/20470-autosave/