|Lemongrass Basil Couscous Cakes |
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 10 mins
I’m not a saver. I’m terrible about putting money aside, but I am not terrible about setting food aside. So while we were stretching our budget to make it through, I was utilizing my thriftiness in the kitchen and using some of the supplies I had saved. One of my creations were these Lemongrass Basil Couscous Cakes using Saffron Road’s Simmer Sauce
- 2 cups leftover couscous (with meat/vegetables is fine!)
- white of 1 egg
- 2 tsp Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
- 1/4 cup + flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- Add couscous to a large bowl and use the back of a fork to mash together the couscous grains with the vegetables. I do this quite a bit to get in as many vegetables as possible without my kids recognizing them.
- Mix in the white of 1 egg and 2 tsp Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce .
- Slowly add flour. You may need to add a little bit more or a little bit less depending on how wet the couscous was to start with. The "dough" should not be firm, but not so thin that it falls apart if you form a ball in your hand.
- Add vegetable oil to a skillet to be 1/4" deep and keep flame on medium until oil begins to gently bubble.
- Form a small ball in your hand with the couscous and place into the oil.
- Do not flip it until you see the edges begin to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Cook on both sides until browned, then remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/07/03/20572-autosave/