|Vegetable Korma with Basmati Rice |
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 10 mins
When you feel like making a vegetarian meal in the middle of the week, this is a quick and healthy go-to recipe that can be adapted with a variety of different veggies. Add chicken or beef strips for a non-vegetarian version.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup red or white onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño sliced in half vertically (seeds removed)
- 1 cup Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1-1/3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 package Saffron Road's Korma Simmer Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup almonds
- handful freshly cut cilantro leaves
- 2 cups Basmati rice (cooked)
- Begin the preparation of Basmati rice (or any type of rice you desire) before you start making this dish, as it needs your attention and will go quickly. You'll want the rice to finish and be nice and warm as soon as you're done with this dish. For a recipe on how to cook Basmati, please visit My Halal Kitchen
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter and oil together gently.
- Add the garlic and ginger and lightly sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and jalapeño and do the same for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté until they soften. Add the diced peppers then the carrots.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Add the entire package of Korma Simmer Sauce and stir well with all the vegetables.
- Add the heavy cream and the almonds and stir together completely. Immediately reduce the flame to a simmer. Continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from stovetop and place a generous spoonful or two on top of a serving of rice. Sprinkle with freshly cut cilantro leaves on top just before serving.
- Total prep and cook time 35 mins.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/03/27/20572-autosave/