|Spicy Tofu Stew ('Soondubu Jjigae') |
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 10 mins
- 1 small package of tofu (cut in cubes)
- 2 cups of vegetables of choice (I used fresh mushrooms, broccoli, baby corn, zucchini, water chestnuts, snap peas, carrots and nappa cabbage) - all slicked in bite size pieces
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. red chili flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic, chopped
- 4 cups Saffron Road Vegetable Broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole egg (optional)
- sesame oil to saute vegetables
- In a pot coat bottom with sesame oil and brown onions on medium to high heat. Add garlic and continue browning for another 30 secs.
- Add your 2 cups of vegetable mix. Mix well and add soy sauce, chili flakes, chili powder, and salt to taste. When vegetables are a quarter to half cooked, add Saffron Road Vegetable Broth and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for approx 5 minutes and add the tofu. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions, sliced green chilies and ... one egg (if you like) for a finishing touch. When you crack on egg and mix immediately in the stew (when piping hot), it will thicken your stew and absorb some of your spice.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/07/03/20572-autosave/