|Baked Eggs with Harissa Spiced Chickpeas and Mixed Greens |
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 55 mins
This egg dish with harissa spiced chickpeas is quick, easy, and full of bursting flavors. It is great on its own for a fast lunch or a perfect side to chicken or fish at dinner. A bit spicy, a little earthy with a hint of rustic tasting harissa, this is a beautifully balanced dish. If you don’t want to add the eggs, just enjoy the chickpea as warm salad with crusty bread.
- 15.5 oz can of chickpeas (1 ½ cups cooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoon Saffron Road's Harissa Simmer Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon, salt or according to taste
- 5 oz mixed greens (spinach,
- 4-6 eggs
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan; add onion, garlic and sauté over medium heat until caramelized. This should take about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the Saffron Road Harissa Simmer Sauce and stir through chickpeas, salt and two tablespoons of water. Simmer for about 6-8 minutes until thick.
- Add mixed greens and stir it through the mixture. Once the greens are a bit wilted, turn off the stove.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon chickpea mixture into two shallow ovenproof dish or remekins.
- Make 2 or 3 indents in mixture with a spoon, and crack an egg into each.
- Bake until eggs are just set about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with pita or crusty bread.
i. Alternatively, the eggs can also be cooked on stovetop instead of baking. Add additional ½ cup water to the chickpeas, crack the eggs and cook until eggs are done. ii. Try a variation of this with chard or kale. iii. Use other legumes such as white beans, kidney beans, etc. [addtoany]
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/07/08/20986-autosave/