Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 55 mins
An elegant eggplant soup perfect for a light vegetarian summer dish, yet versatile enough to make it a little heartier with the addition of chicken or beef.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 eggplant, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried herb mixture (mint, oregano, basil)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 box Saffron Road's Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth (about 4.5 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 and 3/4 cups chopped vermicelli or fideos noodles
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, but not longer than that. Add the green pepper and red pepper and continue to saute until all of the peppers are softened. Add the eggplant and garlic, mixing in the oil and other ingredients completely. Add the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour in the Saffron Road Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth and bring the mixture to a boil, then slowly reduce heat. Cook for 30 minutes on low, uncovered. Adjust for salt and pepper.
- Add the fideos/vermicelli noodles and one cup of water. Allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes or until noodles are completely softened.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately or when dish is lukewarm. Serve with a bit of Parmesan cheese and rustic bread, if desired.
*Noodles will thicken once the soup sits for a time and/or it is refrigerated. You can easily add more broth or water to bring it back to the preferred texture. Adjust for salt and pepper, as needed. [addtoany]
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/07/08/20986-autosave/