|Chicken Sausage Meatball in Moroccan Tagine Sauce |
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 16 oz. package Italian chicken sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk (I used Smart Balance lactose-free fat free milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen or fresh carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 7 oz. package Saffron Road's Moroccan Tagine Simmer Sauce
- Mashed potatoes (preparation of your choice)
- Set a small pan to low-medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic in pan until tender. Transfer from pan into a large bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl with the sautéed onion and garlic, add the chicken sausage, beaten egg, breadcrumbs, milk, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and salt & pepper. Thoroughly combine mixture and then roll meat into 1 1/2 to 2-inch meatballs (approximately 14 meatballs). Place onto lined cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly browned (flipping after 10 minutes). Let meatballs rest in pan on cooling rack while you prepare vegetables & sauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add carrots and brussels sprouts, gently tossing to coat in oil. Cook until slightly tender but still firm, about 4-5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer, then set on low-medium heat. Stir in Moroccan Tagine Simmer Sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes until it just begins to lightly boil, then reduce to low.
- Gently add cooked meatballs to the pan and spoon sauce over meatballs until all are coated well. Allow everything to simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/07/08/20986-autosave/