Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A nourishing Moroccan soup that invites you to a savory and aromatic experience perfect to end a long day of fasting during any season of the year.
- • 4 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 yellow onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- • 2 celery stalks, diced small
- • 4 tomatoes, diced
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1.5 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro stems and leaves, chopped
- 1 carton (32 fl oz) of Saffron Road's Classic Culinary Lamb Broth
- 1 cup mixed fresh greens (i.e. spinach, kale, Swiss chard)
- 1/2 cup orzo or small pasta noodles
- fresh lemon or lime wedges (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil gently. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the celery stalks and do the same.
- Add the tomatoes and cook down for 1-2 minutes then add the garlic and tomato paste. Stir to combine then add the lentils, chickpeas and all of the spices. Add the fresh herbs, too.
- Pour in the Saffron Road's Classic Culinary Lamb Broth and bring the entire mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover, cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Add the fresh greens and orzo and gently stir to combine. Raise the heat slightly and let cook for 10-12 minutes, or the amount of time given for the type of pasta/noodle being used.
- When finished, remove from heat immediately.
- Serve with a lemon or lime wedge for guests who would like to squeeze one into the soup before eating.
Recipe by Saffron Road Food at http://www.saffronroadfood.com/2014/09/10/21303-autosave/